Wednesday, April 1, 2009

i love almost-2-year-olds. really, i do.

my baby is almost two.  this is how i can tell.  twice this week, he's refused to fall asleep for his nap.  actually, i take that back--today he did fall asleep after 2 hours in his bed (he was happy the whole time, and alternated between singing "twinkle twinkle" and "i am a child of god", and reciting the names of people in our family (mommy, daddy, neeko, adline, getchy, pace) (neeko=liesel and gwyneth both) and counting (3, 4 jump!  3, 4 jump!).  just when i was going to go in and get him up from his "quiet time nap", he fell asleep for 2 hours, so spent a total of 4 hours in bed, and then wasn't ready for bedtime tonight.  he thought it was so great to say goodnight to all the girls while he was still up and running around.  sigh.  also today, he got ahold of a purple marker and colored on many, many surfaces in my house.  (the couches--luckily just the leather ones, coffee tables, vases, walls, stairs--luckily tile, doors, himself).  he proudly showed me them all, and then walked around saying "no, no pace".  guess i waited too long to hide the coloring things.  actually, they were hidden, just not well enough, apparently.  he's also on an eating strike, and won't eat anything i put in front of him unless it's a cookie.  i think all my kids have gone through this.  and now they all drink spinach smoothies, so i'm trying not to worry.  in fact, that's the benefit of having 5 kids.  by the 5th one, you don't stress about the stages.  unfortunately, my oldest 2 still get stressed about, because they're the first ones in each stage.  sorry, girls!  but, hey, i was the oldest, and i survived, right?  
speaking of liesel, (in a round-about way), here is a quote from this morning:  "i so wish i didn't have to go to school today.  i've got such better things to do with my time."
i agree, baby (sometimes, at least)--good thing next week is spring break!
but i digress:  back to pace being 2:  he does that limp-body tantrum thing, he insists on walking everywhere, etc., etc., etc.
on the other hand, he says the funniest things.  today he saw 2 helicopters in a row (his favorite next to motorcycles and tractors), and said "oh my goodness.  'copters.  oh my goodness." and then got so excited that he lost all ability to form real words and just babbled for about 2 minutes.  
and in all honesty, the 2-year-old stage is one of my favorites--now, 3........that's a hard one.

12 comments:

R said...

He's getting so big. I agree, three was WAY worse than two. At least for Benjamin...

Poppy said...

I don't know about 2 being a favorite. I had a little angel boy until he turned two...I'm hoping 3 gets a little less busy! Yesterday Dyl pulled all the toilet paper off the roll and then squirt honey all over the floor, toilet, etc...again!
Anyway, sounds like a cutie. I love that he loves "copters" and tractors especially with all the estrogen flowing there!
PS-you don't need an excuse to visit, I'd love to have you anytime.

Rebekah said...

perfect! i'm sending mariah to you on the next flight!!

Sunshine said...

Agreed. Except I think "the stage" hits my kids about 2 1/2 and my poor baby girl has got it full on!
Have fun with that marker:)

Penny said...

You send me Pace when he is 3 and I will send you Hadley right now. She and Pace would have lots of fun! She is just in that same stage. I'm not a fan - just a crazy Mom instead. Three is WAY more up my alley. Lament away to me - I'm right there with you in this.

Annette said...

Three is rough. But so is 7 and 9.

brent said...

I'm sure I could share my two year old with you and you'd be happy with what you've got. Mine's getting a little too close to three sometimes....

But actually lots of things are really fun about him getting so big. He does really funny things.

brent said...

aah! i did it again. That's me (eliza) not brent.

Karalee said...

I agree...three is the HARD year!!! At least with my kids. Two held nothing over three.

Cute stories. Thanks for sharing.

Ellie said...

This is the first time your blog has ever sounded like the second half of its title. :-) I have decided that the markers were a lot easier to hide from my older kids when there wasn't really anyone using them. Now it doesn't matter how hard I try or how many secret stashes I think I have taken care of, Emily still manages to find more markers and crayons than I even knew we had. I love that he gave you a little tour of all his artwork!

Annette said...

Per your comments left on my blog: I knew we must still be a lot alike--minus the whole vegan thing! :) There's a house for sale a couple doors down...

Grandma Sandy said...

How about 26, 28, 30, 32, 35 and 37? what is normal for this stage? I just keep out of it and hope that by now they can figure it out on their own. Or should I say I try to keep out....love to all. PS Loren was a cute two year old. Instead of markers he had hammers and tape measures in his hand and hooked on to his diapers.