Tuesday, March 24, 2009

here's what we've been doing lately

READING:
madeline and gretchen took a break from "princessing" to read.  i love madeline's new reading abilities!  it makes it easier to overlook her being so engrossed in a book that she 'doesn't hear me'.  (and there's a chance she gets that trait from me...)
PLAYING AIR GUITAR:
don't ask me how he learned this.  but it is pretty cute.  pace loves music.  really loves it.  he dances and sings and plays the guitar any time he hears any sort of music.  
WRITING THE FAMILY GAZETTE:
liesel and gwyneth thought of this all by themselves and snuck it onto the table for me to find.  it was a white board with different 'articles' about our family on it.  there was a 'guess who' section, a 'healthy eating' spot, some 'fashion advice', and other miscellaneous items and announcements.  it was really cute and very clever, i thought.  it's fun to have kids that are getting older!


LEARNING HOW TO RIDE WITHOUT TRAINING WHEELS:
on saturday i decided it was time for gretchy to be done with training wheels.  loren took them off, and i prepared myself for much tears (gretchen's) and gnashing of teeth (mine).  i was spared both, however--she learned how to ride without help in less than 5 minutes.  no tears, no falling, no drama.  yeah for gretchen!  liesel and gwyneth were very upset when they said they'd learned how to ride just as quickly and i had to remind them that there had been quite a bit of drama involved with them learning how to ride a bike.  they are too much like me, i'm afraid.  they got another chance to prove their skills, however, when we bought them new BIG bikes last night.  they handled themselves much better than when they were 7.  

SPOTTING THE BURROWING OWL:
i was driving gretchen to preschool today and saw, in this field right by her school, a little tiny owl!  it was crazy.  at first i thought it was just a funny little bird, but then i remembered this book the girls and i had just read (carl hiaasen's 'hoot'--a very good read, i might add) about this endangered owl in florida, and so i took a closer look, and saw that it was, indeed, an owl.  then i saw this sign in the field that said "no trespassing:  home of the burrowing owl".  anyway, it was quite exciting, and fun that we'd just read the book.  and crazy that i've driven that road twice a day since we've moved here, and i've never seen the owls or the signs.  must have my mind on other things!  actually, it's probably because i'm showing pace the cows and horses in the field across the road.  on the way home from preschool today, we saw an iguana in the grass.  as long as the alligators stay put...


13 comments:

Penny said...

Your girls are going to be amazing one day. The way they work together never ceases to amaze me. The Family Gazette??? They are future magazine editors perhaps. So cute! With the brains and creativity in your family - I can see a future family business :)!

Annette said...

I love the family gazette idea. That's very cute and clever. We love "Hoot" too. It's always on our short list when we plan outdoor movies.

Joanne said...

Hooray for updates! Very cute pictures - Pace looks like such a rockstar. And Gretchy looks so old all of a sudden! I'm jealous of your quick bike-learning moment. And I hope we can maybe see the owl when we come. But most of all, the Family Gazette is about the neatest thing ever! I love that they had that idea, but I was even more impressed after I clicked on the picture to enlarge it and saw all the cool stuff they wrote. The fashion advice was very good. And I'll guess Madeline for the spotlight? I'm not sure on that one.

Mattson Family said...

The family gazette idea reminds me of the book "Little Women"! You have some very special "little women" of your own...and a pretty cute little man as well!

Grandma Sandy said...

It brings tears to my eyes, what I am missing. I am so thankful that you keep such an amazing blog. Give everyone hugs and kisses.

Ellie said...

1. I had the same Little Women thought. I love the Family Gazette. Are you going to post the new version each day?
2. I also vote for Madeline on the Guess Who. And I love the picture of her reading to Gretchy.
3. I'm way impressed with Gretchen's biking skills!
4. Pace is getting so big. He looks more like Loren in every picture.
5. I LOVE your kids! We miss you!

Marian said...

hooray for updates, indeed! i can't believe how much older everyone looks than when we were there last summer. i loved the family gazette idea. i'm wishing that kansas were a little closer to florida so we could plan a visit.

Eliza said...

that gazette was great! so creative and funny. and hooray for Gretchy learning to ride a bike!

Sierra said...

Looks so nice and sunny! LUCKY!

Annette said...

My apologies about the violent song!

Karalee said...

The articles the girls wrote reminded me of Kit's story. The American girl that is. Have they been reading her story?
As for the owls, there is a movie that was made off that book as well. We saw it during the free summer movies two years ago. THey may want to rent it now that they have seen them in person.

Karen said...

Hi Laura!
It's so fun to hear from you--your family has grown up so much. I still have the twins in my mind as 3 year olds and Madeline as a baby in the Baby Bjorn. Wow--it just goes to show how long it's been :o) I'm so glad things are going well for you guys... and I'm excited to check out your recipe blog too!

jenny said...

lol! love the family gazette. great fashion advice.