Thursday, April 23, 2009

if i had things my way....


doesn't this look way more fun than a day at school?








so, if i was the one in charge of the school schedule, i would give the children days off at random times, not on holidays, and in the middle of the week--often, like 3 times a month.  maybe 4.  maybe 5, if it was a 5-week month.  i kept the kids home from school today (it was take-your-child to work day, and only like 5 kids were going to be at school).  loren couldn't actually take the kids to work with him, so we met him for lunch at a beach by his work, and then spent a few hours there after he had to go back to work (yes, i felt slightly guilty that i was playing and he was working--every once in a while being a mom has great perks).  i cannot even tell you how fun it was to have a day off of everything!  and it wasn't a saturday, so i didn't feel like i had to get "projects" done, and it wasn't a holiday, so not everybody was at the beach.  it's days like this that made me homeschool the kids a couple of years ago.  i will not get on my soapbox and go on and on about how kids spend way too much time at school, when they could learn the same amount in less time.................................
i will just say "hooray for days off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (and for friends who let their kids stay home from school, too--the extra girls you saw in the pictures are our friends that came with us).

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Ooh, I wish you did have things your way, and then I would come live in your school district and enjoy the days off with you. That beach looks so fun! I love the top picture with all the girls waving. Also Pace with his little car (tractor?). ALSO, I LOVE LOVE your swimsuit! Is that the one you ordered online from Target? I thought that one was going to be black? Maybe I was confused. Anyway, you look amazing in it, and it makes me all of a sudden wish I had a red swimsuit.

Ellie said...

I like your schedule. But I think I would want some days where Jeff had the day off with the kids, and maybe also some days where Jeff had the day off but the kids didn't. And we would probably have to move closer to the beach to make the most of it.

Dave and Jen said...

My girls had a blast. Thank you so much for taking them. I'm so greatful to have to guys here. with us. I've learned alot from you and your family.You are the greatest!!!!!

Karalee said...

I am all for days off school! As a matter of fact, the kids had a weeek and a day for spring break. Instead of sending my kids back on Monday after spring break was done, we extended our break a little longer and took Amelia to Disneyland for her birthday. Way more fun than school and laundry!