Friday, May 15, 2009

just another day....

at the beach.  we sort of maybe skipped school one day last week and went to the beach.  we couldn't help ourselves.  i think this is my new answer to the homeschooling/not homeschooling dilemma.  i'll send my kids to public school, but i'll schedule my own vacation days.  hmmm.  not a bad idea.  
anyway, we had a great day.  one of my favorite things about the beach is that the kids all play together.  i like group family/kid projects--like building sandcastles, etc.
this was an especially exciting trip because this random guy found a huge, huge, beautiful shell and gave it to us.  the only catch:  the owner of the shell was still very much alive and living in it.  the kids had fun (nervously) holding it.  then i sent madeline and gretchen on a rescue mission to throw the shell into deeper water.  they were so funny trying to go out far enough gingerly holding this shell.  before they could put it back, though, some other people decided they wanted to try to keep the shell.  i said "good luck" and we gave it to them.  their ownership of the shell lasted for a few minutes until the real owner started poking it's huge slimy foot-muscle-thing out of the shell and started flipping around trying to get back in the water.  at this point (after much screaming by the girls, young and old alike) another guy rescued us all by throwing the shell like a football into deeper water.  it was a grand adventure.
this beach was another great beach--it was shallow for a long ways, and had a little sandbar about 10 yards out where the water was only about 3 inches deep.  pace spent a lot of time out there driving his truck.

9 comments:

Penny said...

I think that FL is growing on you...:) and I think that I might just be a teensy bit jealous! Just a little bit.

Poppy said...

I'm so envious, I can't hardly stand it! I wanna play, too!

Karalee said...

What a funny story!
Kelsey had fun talking to the girls yesterday. We sure miss you and wish we were planning our weekly beach trips with YOU and Poppy!!

Ellie said...

Jeff's mom used to take them out of school to go skiing and she would just tell the school "they were needed at home today." I'm not gutsy enough to do it -- but then maybe it's just because there's not an activity close enough to tempt me to do it. I think I could get gutsy pretty fast if we had a close beach. It looks like Pace has decided the sand and water are ok. That must make beach trips even better. Yea!

Mattson Family said...

How fun! I like your own vacation days idea...I'll have to remember that!

Marian said...

how fun, laur!

sara said...

What a great Mom you are....I am with you. I love family/together/activities. Family time is so short we really need to enjoy it! What a great day! I am really jealous of your beach time :)

Joanne said...

That sounds like so much fun! Your kids are lucky to get beach homeschooling days - I love that idea. The pictures are all great - I think I'm going to have to start doing Picassa collages. I love them. I think my all-time favorite picture was the one near the top that was just a candid shot of all 5 of the kids in different positions in the water. I don't know why, I just really love that one. Also, all the ones of Pace playing.

Joanne said...

Oh, and I forgot to say that the little shell creature is crazy!