Tuesday, May 19, 2009

the cube



our new pool toy is the "cube".  it's been a great source of entertainment.  it's been especially fun for me to watch the kids learn new ways to get in and out.  my favorite is the back somersault out of it.  in fact, speaking of back somersaults, the girls have been practicing them, and when i discovered that even gretchen can do one in the water, i overcame my irrational fear of going upside down backwards in the water without my nose plugged, and did my first ever non-nose-plugged back somersault.  who says you can't teach an old dog (mom) new tricks?  the children were properly impressed, although liesel and gwyneth then had to show me how they can do 6 back somersaults in a row.  i'm sticking with one at a time, thank you very much! 
i am still trying to get some alone time in the cube.  it would be a fabulous place to float and read a book.  somehow the occasion is not presenting itself.  i do need to figure out a new system for reading books by the pool.  i have semi-ruined a couple so far.  at least i haven't dropped the camera in yet!

6 comments:

Ellie said...

That looks so fun! I have to say I'm a little jealous of all your pool time. Ours is opening this weekend and we aren't anywhere near pool weather. What's the point of living somewhere that's going to be unbearably hot all summer if you can't start going to the pool the minute it opens? We're getting a little ripped off this year. :-)

Marian said...

way too fun. they should make waterproof books for reading by/in the pool. our neighborhood pool hasn't opened yet, and the kids are dying to go swimming.

Annette said...

The cube looks like my kind of swimming - minus the getting in the pool part. :)

Eliza said...

ok. i've just decided we're only going to rent a place in AZ with a pool or a community pool. it just looks like too much fun.

Karalee said...

What great pictures in the cube! I am a bit jealous, though. We have fabulously hot weather and an empty pool.

Joanne said...

That looks like such a blast! I love the ones with all the kids in the cube at once. I'm realizing I always love photos with all the kids - there's something different about a snapshot with all your kids than a formal picture where you are all lined up. And it doesn't even have to be of my own kids - I was feeling all proud and almost teary-eyed just looking at yours.