Monday, May 18, 2009

capturing the moments

first of all, i have to say "thank goodness for patriotic songs."  the reason i say this is because gretchen got sent to her room this afternoon after forgetting how to say "okay, mom".  she stomped off in a huff, but pretty soon i heard all sorts of patriotic goodies being belted from her room (mostly renditions of the 'star spangled banner' and 'grand old flag', with a few spanish treasures learned at preschool thrown in for good measure).  she came out of her room a few minutes later in a thoroughly pleasant mood.  i think she patriotic-ed herself right out of her tantrum.  i was even able to request a private concert to hear the songs up close and personal, and if i can ever figure out how to download videos off the camcorder, i will post it.  

i have been thinking the last couple of weeks that one of my favorite parts about being a mom is that i am home to capture the little treasures (i.e. funny things) that my kids do.  it adds so much pleasure to my day.  i thought i'd share a sampling of the treasures with you.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: some 'moments'

7 comments:

Rebekah said...

very fun! maybe gretchen should try for the guiness book of world records with her eyebrow-growing abilities!

Karalee said...

Maybe I should try that next time I am upset. At least then I would be teaching my kids to have more pride in their country!

Poppy said...

My brother used to sing the Star-spangled banner at the top of his lungs while jumping on the tramp when we were kids. The neighbor across the street used to get a kick out of it. Who can be in a bad mood when singing those songs...too funny. I also got a kick out of the picture of Gretch with her stuff on the bed. Grace does the same thing, she was sleeping with her legs hanging off the bed the other night because she had so much stuff on it...and she has a double bed. Dylan likes to carry his cars in a purse occasionally as well and he used to climb up on the counter and take bites out of the apples. I guess all kids do similar things. Never a dull moment for sure! (sorry that was so long!)

Marian said...

i love your kids! they are way too cute. i love the picture of gwyneth on her bike with the book.

Ellie said...

I love the picture of Gwyneth on her bike with the book. She and Peter are definitely kindred spirits. Actually, all of our kids are. There is someone in our house that does some version of everything you had a picture of (including the long eyebrows, although it's my dad who isn't really in our house, but he only has about 6 hairs in each eyebrow and they are all freakishly long). Emily is deep in the stage of "find any available small bag, backpack, or purse and fill it with any available smaller toy, scrabble tile, hair accessory or other choking hazard." Fun to see what your kids are doing!

Do you think the patriotic songs would work if a parent suggested it? "If you get to 3 you'll have to sing You're a Grand Old Flag." It might work once just because of the shock value. I'm totally going to try it!

Annette said...

A 2-inch eyelash?!? I'm speechless.

Joanne said...

Ha! First of all, I love that Gretchen was getting all patriotic! I happen to love patriotic songs, myself. Whenever we sing the patriotic hymns at church I even get goosebumps.

Second of all, those pictures were hilarious! I was going to try to pick out some of my favorites, but there were too many that I kept laughing out loud at - Gretchen's eyebrow, Pace with his purse, Gwyneth reading on her bike, Gretchen sleeping with her set-ups. . ) Anyway, it was a perfect illustration of the little treasures we get to observe as mothers.