Wednesday, August 5, 2009

another bike ride--not as much singing this time

this is why. do you see the size of that seat? holy skinny-ness! notice how the tip of the seat is roughly the same size as the bar of the bike. it's roughly the same hardness, too. trust me.

i don't think this picture does the narrowness of the wheels justice.
this one's a little better, but to fully appreciate it, i think you have to actually be on the bike.
another shot of the demon seat.
and here's the whole thing.
this is the bike i used for my ride this morning. let's just say that my normal bike is not the same sort of creature that this bike is. i'm not even sure they should both be called bikes. it took me 20 minutes to get up the nerve to let go of the handle bars and change gears. it was a wobbly moment. i hope no one was watching. (i can proudly report that i changed gears again later on with less wobble). i hope everybody at the triathlon knows to stay far away from me. i need a sign that says "i've only ridden a crazy bike like this one other time, so watch out!" i would just get a horn to beep so everybody would know to run, but i don't think i can let go of the handle bars long enough to beep it.

i do have to say that it was very, very fun to whiz along at top speed. i got home 10 minutes before loren, and he did 4 miles less than i did. and it was fun to feel a little bit like a real (?) biker. i'm sure a true pro could have spotted me as an impostor right away, but loren said i looked good, so i'll take his word for it and avoid consulting anyone else.


10 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh, boy - that really does look tall and skinny and scary to ride. I would be very wobbly on it. Is that Loren's bike? Or did you borrow it? How soon is the triathlon?

Poppy said...

Tell us a little more about this triathlon. That's really cool. I am just hoping to be able to run (ish) a 5k someday...I don't think that I could do a triathlon...I'm not a great swimmer, I don't think that I'd get too far too fast doggy paddling!

Poppy said...

PS my rear end would be sore for days after riding that bike!
PPS How lucky that you can leave the kids home while you go out for a ride. I have a few more years before I'm able to do that!

Marian said...

wow, laur. good job not falling off. i'm sure i would have. are you not allowed to just ride a normal bike in a triathlon?

Sunshine said...

SO impressed! i don't know when your triathlon is but imagine me cheering you on! be careful on that contraption! Yikes.

Diane said...

Put on your "I can't believe it's true, but it is" hat - I used to ride a bike like that to school every day when I was in high school. It was a couple of miles from my house, and I did it most days without holding on to the handlebars at all.

Let's just say those days are past.

Dave and Jen said...

Your so funny. You will get use to it. But it took me a little while too. I know those skinny wheels and seat are hard. But these bike are easier when you get use to it. My dad is shipping my bike. I should get it later next week. The we can go for a bike ride. Ya. I'm so jeolous I want to do the tri with you. But I'm super excited for you. Cant wait to see you out there.

jenny said...

i've been wanting to get a road bike for awhile. is your bike a triathlon bike or a regular roadie? matt bought me a "special" girl seat for my mtn bike. it has a shape that protects women parts. :) it's super comfortable.

Ellie said...

When is your triathlon? Good luck!

Emily said...

Triathlon? Good luck! I'm very impressed. I need to register for a race so that I have a "push" to start running again. It's just so hot these days!