Monday, August 24, 2009

successful completion of the triathlon

so, i did the triathlon on saturday! woohoo! it was so much fun. it was probably one of the best/most fun/greatest/happy-feel-good things i've every done. i finished in 1 hour and 23 minutes, which put me in 3rd place for my age group in the "first tri" division, and 4th for women overall in that division. i got this little award thing, which was kind of nice. loren promply asked me if i was going to take a picture of it and then throw the award away, like i make the kids do with theirs. i told him that the rules are different for me, 'cause i'm the mom. the kids can keep their awards when they're moms.
anyway, none of the pictures above are super flattering, and they mostly show me in the transition area (going from the swim to the bike, and the bike to the run), but it's a little glimpse of what it was like. loren missed my big smiles on the swim and bike courses and got my grimaces on the run (running is not my forte--the first mile of the run was an absolute killer until i settled into my groove)......it was way more fun than it looks like i'm having--you'll just have to trust me.
i started working out today for my next one. anyone want to join me?
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Diane said...

Wow! That is quite an accomplishment. You go girl!

Penny said...

Ok, so you totally blew me away with this - 4th overall?! That pretty much ranks as AMAZING in my book - like it really matter, but's you know...

So cool! We need more details though for us uneducated triathaloners - how far was each, etc.

Super awesome!

Kelly said...

You are amazing and inspiring! I don't think I could even run a mile right now.

Poppy said...

I think you look great...I might be tempted to do one just for that body! I just really can't swim (except doggy paddle), or run...I could bike (I think), but not very fast. You are awesome. I would be hanging that award someplace where everyone can see it!

Sunshine said...

wooo!!!!! Cheer!!!!! claaapp!!!!!!

Eliza said...

Woo hoo! I didn't realize it was last weekend (even though you probably told me). It does look really fun and I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to do another one. That's awesome that you placed so high. Next time those 1st and 2nd placers better watch out!

Annette said...

You are seriously, and admirably, INSANE!! Congratulations and good luck on the next one!

Dave and Jen said...

i'M so glad we were able to come with you. You are amazing.You had a such a great time. . Can't wait until we one together.

kira said...

Laura, you have totally inspired me. Way to go!

Little Red said...

Your so cool Laura! I have been working out to get ready for our Hawaii trip next week. But have wondered what will inspire me to keep going. This sounds like just the thing!

Congrats! I think you should put the award front and center, it will inspire you to keep going!

Sally said...

Amazing!

Mattson Family said...

you are wonder woman!!

Joanne said...

Okay, Laur - I am in such awe!!! I didn't realize you had already done it. That looks like so much fun! (but in kind of a crazy way, and only because I'm not the one who was doing it). And you're wrong about the pictures - they are all very flattering, because you look amazing!

And I love how Loren asked if you were going to throw your trophy away. I do the same thing with my kids, and it's kind of sad, because now when Ollie brings something home from school, the first thing he says is, "so when are you going to throw this away?"

Anyway, this is getting long so I'm actually just going to call you, but you pretty much (I think) inspired me to try training for one of these. Are there any where you only have to swim one lap, bike up one street, and then run 1/4 mile?

Paula said...

Wow! I'm with Poppy on this one - although I can do a few swim strokes. I am so impressed.

Kents said...

Way to go mom of 5! You look great, look like you had a lot of fun doing it, too. I love running, swimming, not too good on a bike, but for some reason the transitioning between the 3 doesn't even sound like fun to me, and swimming with A TON of people all crazy around me doesn't sound like fun either. I do love to train for races, though. Family's doing a half marathon in March when I'll have a 1 month old, dern it.

Karalee said...

I'm affraid that there is no way I will be joining you, but glad you had fun! Congrats on such an amazing time, third place is very impressive!