Wednesday, January 21, 2009

a sign i'd rather not see

so, today while i was driving i saw a sign in my neighborhood along one of the many canal/ponds we have here in (South) florida.  the wording of this sign disturbed me. this is what it said:  "it is illegal to feed or entice alligators".  i am not concerned that i am going to break this law, as i have no desire to feed or entice alligators in any way, but i am a little worried this means that i might come across an alligator who could be wanting to be fed/enticed/etc.  i have been assured that there are not alligators lying around nilly willy, but this sign does not seem to support that claim....
it seems to be that if you see a sign saying "don't feed the ducks" that there are ducks in the area......
i'm just hoping the alligators don't get word of the sign and feel inclined to put in an appearance!

8 comments:

Penny said...

Here in lies reason #1 why I would not be excited about moving to FL. Yikes!

Poppy said...

Yikes! Don't let your kids wander too far! I'd be a little concerned as well.

Ellie said...

When I was about 9 my friend told me that kids in Florida learn to run with their legs spread about 2 feet out to the side so they bob from side to side while they run because an alligator's eyes are far apart and this makes it harder for an alligator to keep track of you if you are running away from it. Maybe you can practice for FHE. :-)

Laura said...

oh my goodness! that would be so funny. loren's been running every day--i'll have to make sure he knows the right way to avoid alligators!

Paula said...

I agree 100% with you. We have been walking at Corriganville a few times lately and the watch for rattlesnakes and mountain lions signs make me nervous. I can't wait to see your kids learning to run to avoid those alligators.

BNN said...

Wow, that is a bit unsetteling. I don't like anything that has big teeth like that.

sara said...

Seriously! I would have died. I hope to NOT hear about any Alligator incidents from you. Stay safe!

Karalee said...

I think I would be concerned, too. If you do decide to teach the alligator run to your kids, make sure to video the performance for our enjoyment! ;)