Wednesday, January 14, 2009

in case any of you are still checking this blog, i wanted to let you know i'm back in action!  after much drama we got our internet hooked up yesterday, and i am ready to reenter the blogging world.  and now that i can finally post something, i can't recall any of the millions of things i've been storing in the remember-to-post-this section of my brain.  sooooooooooo, for now, i'll just do a quick update of the last month.

things we've learned about in florida:
1.  where we live is called South florida.  emphasis on South.  nobody says "welcome to florida".  it's always "welcome to South florida".  even in fast and testimony meeting. 
2.  South florida is warm.  the day we moved in the kids brought me a huge box filled with all their winter clothes.  they declared they would never, ever need them again.  
3.  South florida has a lot of ants.  tons of ants.  millions of ants.  all wanting to come into our house.  many have succeeded.  i am trying to get used to it.
4.  we have a fancy little toilet in one of our bathrooms.  there is a special french word for it, but my kids call it the "bottom washer".  it's one of those ones that you kind of hover over and it rinses you off.  i do not plan on ever using it.  but my children (gretchen) enjoy trying it out and then gleefully reporting on how it went.  pace just likes to turn it on and watch the water squirt up.
5.  school uniforms are not so bad, after all.
6.  most people here own a horse, a golf cart, a dirt bike/4 wheeler, or motorized scooter, and their children are all allowed to drive/ride these on the same road that i am driving my real car on.  it's caused my children to give up on their when-can-i-have-a-cell-phone quest and start a new when-can-i-drive-a-golf-cart one.  the answer is the same:  never.
7.  i should have paid more attention in my high school spanish class.

well, that's all for now.  i still have to go back and do some posts from christmas, but that will have to wait until later.  i am not used to sitting down for so long, and i feel lazy!  up until now, every second of the day has been spent unpacking, organizing, hanging pictures, etc.  i think there are only 20 or so pictures left to hang.  yippee!



6 comments:

Annette said...

I'm glad you're blogging again. I wondered how the move went. I'm jealous of the weather, and the uniforms, and maybe the toilet. Not so jealous of the ants. We had ants in San Diego. Not fun. I can't wait to see more pictures.

Poppy said...

good to have you back and I am glad you've made it safely to South Florida! Ants came in our first day at our new house and a few times after that, but have not been back for a while. Yuck! I don't like em! Can't wait for more updates and I'd love to see more pics of the house.

Joanne said...

Haha! I love the "what we've learned" list.

I didn't know your girls had school uniforms there. That sounds fancy. And the fancy "bottom washer" is very funny.

Good luck with the ants. Yuck. Do bigger creatures try to come in, too?

Ellie said...

We had a similar list when we moved to New Orleans. It felt like we had left America! There are tons of ants there, too, but they mostly stayed outside. I had a much bigger problem with the cockroaches and geckos that came inside! I knew one of my brothers really loved me when he took care of a gecko that came in my room. And I knew the other one didn't when he threw a roach on me. Yuck!

Karalee said...

I loved reading your list and the house looks perfect. Hope you can find a way to get a handle on the ants.

Sunshine said...

Glad you like your house. My house in France had a (don't remember how to spell it but pronounced)beeday. The kids used it to brush their teeth:)