Monday, May 10, 2010

real life



i'm easing back in to my real life (after spending THE BEST WEEKEND EVER in virginia with friends--pictures and details to come later, since the picture of the snakeskin above is the only one i took before my camera batteries died) by spending the morning blogging. i say the day after mother's day is still sort of like mother's day, and should be spent doing what i want to do. i don't want to shock my system by working too hard after such a leisurely weekend.

now that the pool water temperature is approaching that of bath water, i will finally get in. pace and i have been having a great time doing "swim lessons" every day.
loren plays games with the kids on sundays. and this was not even a quality i knew he had when i married him! it's so fun to discover surprise good qualities in your husband. (he has a lot of other non-surprise good qualities, too).
we went camping a week ago. the only pictures i got were of the kids eating s'mores. at least i captured the most important moments, right?
this is as far as we've gotten with potty training. hmmm.

gwyneth broke her arm a couple of weeks ago and has been waiting patiently for me to blog about it, so here it is. she broke it doing the high jump on field day at school. very exciting for all of us. her cast is waterproof (worth the extra money) so she's still been doing swim team and everything else. she gets it off this wednesday. woohoo!
i walked in from my trip yesterday to a whole table covered in flowers. this is just a small sampling. happy mother's day!

i knew pace was being suspiciously quiet while i was blogging just now. i went to check on him and found him playing with cars in the wheat bucket. i left him playing happily and came back to finish blogging. sometimes the rules are allowed to be broken. i'm pretty sure cleaning up some spilled wheat will be worth the alone time on the computer!

12 comments:

Joanne said...

I say yes, let Pace play in the wheat so you can blog. Very much worth it. That snake skin is creepy! Who found it? I'm so jealous of you and Lize with your backyard pools and daily swims! I need to call you about good swim tubes. I love the picture of Loren playing (Phase 10?) with the kids. They all look so serious. What a great tradition/surprise good quality. Pace is very cute with both his s'mores and his underwear on his head. At least he's getting nice and familiar with the underwear. Also, gorgeous flowers!!! Good job again, Loren.

Can't wait to hear about your Virginia trip. One of these days I'll post the rest of our Philly trip. (And then maybe get around to the wedding trip that was a few months ago.)

Little Red said...

So fun to get caught up on you guys!
I am trying one of the spinach smoothies from your "green " blog, this morning for the first time! I will let you know how it goes!!!!

Annette said...

Gwyneth is a true blogger! Good luck with the potty training.

Marian said...

gross snake skin. i don't even know how you stood there to take a picture. i love the rest of the pictures. pace is too cute. i'm glad you got a relaxing weekend!

Diane said...

Serious design flaw with boys underwear: the pictures are all on the back, thus boys wanting to wear them backward, so as to see the picture. Some true entrepreneur (not me) should revolutionize the design of male toddler underwear. After all, none of them use the fly yet anyway.

Betsy said...

Ok, ok, I'll send you some pictures - I had no idea your camera batteries died! Can't believe all you got was the snakeskin!

Karalee said...

Should I admit that my mom has pictures of me with my brother's underwear on my head when I was little? Nah, better not. I agree about mother's day, should last all week, right?

Emily said...

SO fun to see you! Thanks for the awesome Yoga session even though your pregger self still put the rest of us to shame!

Ellie said...

My camera batteries didn't die, but I still only got pictures of the snake skin. I was having too much fun the rest of the time to think about getting the camera out. And I knew Betsy was taking pictures. :-) It was so fun to see you. My kids have been asking non-stop since you left when we will get to see you again and when they will get to see your kids. I haven't answered them this way, but I'm planning on November.

Love the rest of the pictures. Is that a real s'more? I'm speechless! Jeff's mom gets wheat out on purpose to let the kids play with it. Or rice or lentils. Her theory is that it's like playing in water but not as messy inside. I don't know about that, but it's definitely worth a few quiet minutes.

Glad you were sufficiently pampered on Mother's Day even though you weren't home for breakfast in bed. The flowers look lovely.

It was great to see you. I am in serious withdrawal!

Eliza said...

I'm glad that snake skin was not at your house. Nast. Jealous of your great trip with friends- I could use a vacation like that about now.
Good for you for giving Pace swimming lessons. Maybe I will try it with Paul. I wish you were here so we could switch kids (just for teaching, not for permanent, although he is pretty cute). But I haven't gotten in my pool yet- my kids swim every day but I don't get in until the water is at least 80. Maybe 85. It's only 78 right now.

Kari said...

It was such a fabulous weekend! I'm glad you came home to those beautiful flowers. Thanks for flying out to join in the fun--can't wait to see you again!

BTW-Garrett did that with his underwear too! Maybe it's a rite of passage!

Rochelle said...

I'm going to open some wheat right now. As for the potty training-just wait till he's 4. hee hee.