Saturday, May 15, 2010

family scripture study and some tangents


last night we were reading about the olive branches being grafted. this somehow segwayed into a discussion of arms being grafted back onto bodies if they'd been cut off. which prompted me to remember that my mom had once gotten a skin graft when the tip of her finger had been snipped off by a door. which prompted liesel to suddenly remember that she'd gotten a skin graft on her finger once (a fact i had totally forgotten). i have no idea how liesel remembered this or even knew this in the first place, since i don't ever remember discussing it with her. me saying so prompted a whole other discussion on things we could or could not remember. we finally finished reading the chapter. during all of this, pace was jumping around on the couch with some shorts on his head. which prompted loren to say, when he was helping pace say the family prayer, that we were "thankful for the clothes on our backs and on our heads". which sent all the girls (including me) into fits of (reverent) giggles. please tell me the kids are getting something out of family scripture study.

p.s. i have no idea how to spell "segway" and spell check was no help whatsoever. anybody know how to spell it?

7 comments:

Rebekah said...

too funny! i love it!

Annette said...

That is awesome! We read scriptures on my bed and half the time the girls are wrestling and rolling off of it. We get points for trying, don't we?

Poppy said...

It's the habit, right? I say that every week at church when you wonder why you are there trolling the halls for 3 hours!

Marian said...

laughing out loud here. which is kind of embarrassing because my inlaws are upstairs, and they know i'm down here by myself. i love your family!

Betsy said...

very cute. i think it is spelled segue or something similar :).

Ellie said...

Betsy spelled it right. I looked it up. And yes, we definitely get points for trying. I hope! We read scriptures right after dinner and everyone is supposed to be still sitting at the table, but half the time there are only 1 or 2 kids actually sitting and half the time those two are fighting about whose turn it is to read. I always wonder which way things settle out -- do we get more positive points for reading scriptures or more negative points for fighting about it?

Joanne said...

What better way to create good memories of reading the scriptures together than going off on tangents and saying "thankful for the clothes on our heads" prayers? I say good job for making it fun.

I love those kinds of tangent conversations, though - it's alwas so funny to find out the random things your kids remember. Also, I love sharing crazy, mysterious details about things that happened to me/Daniel/grandparents (like what happened to Mom's finger) once in awhile to keep them intrigued.