Thursday, July 23, 2009

is this a boy thing?

i'm not the only one who has found my voice (see previous post). pace has discovered that he can talk really loudly about a lot of things. i guess this isn't actually a new discovery--he's been perfecting the art for several months now.
this is what i heard in sacrament meeting 2 weeks ago coming from the back row in church (where loren sits with the kids while i am up on the stand playing the organ and delighting in my alone-ness): "yeah! the bread! josh (a deacon), give me some bread. josh, come back here. where you going, josh? where's hailey (josh's sister)? oh, bread! (as someone, not josh, finally makes it to the back row with the sacrament). mommy, you got bread? yum, yum. i have more?"

my other children die of embarrassment every sunday. i try to pretend i am unaffected by the chatter. loren tries to make it through the sacrament in the actual chapel, but is usually required to make an early exit.

pace doesn't limit his exuberance to church meetings, though. we just got back from the grocery store. pace was in one of those 'car' grocery carts. he was very excited about this and was spinning the steering wheel wildly and shouting out "whoo! i go fast! look mommy! yeah!" loud enough to make everyone we passed smile. he also started repeating everything we said. (liesel: "let's get cereal". pace: "yeah! let's get cereal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", etc.) the other kids were begging each other to be quiet so he couldn't repeat anything. at this point, pace decided to up the excitement by bursting into a rousing rendition of "we will, we will rock you!", which is one of his favorite go-to songs. liesel's reaction to this: "i should have stayed in the car."

i really don't remember my girls being quite so vocal about their excitement. but i guess if a whole grocery store is smiling by the time we leave, it's not such a bad thing. right?


10 comments:

Rebekah said...

oh, what a cute boy! i'm laughing. if only my 2-year-old's public behavior made people smile . . . . sigh.

Sunshine said...

well, Alena was quoted by various people through the rest of the meeting after announcing to everyone while i was up on the stand "i don't want to be quiet!". So evidently it's not just boys:)
what i want to know is how you've trained your girls to be so quiet:) we don't have any quiet children in our house!

Joanne said...

He is so stinkin' cute! I can just picture the whole thing. I'm sure your whole ward loves him. And all the people at the store. I love how Liesel said maybe she should have just stayed in the car.

R said...

I can't imagine Pace being able to talk that much! And yes, that sounds like a boy thing to me.

Annette said...

Can you guys please move to PA?! I could use some good entertainment at church and at the store.

I could also use an organist. Then I wouldn't feel bad for being obstinate.

Annette said...

[Amanda Moody]

She was a cheerleader, wasn't she? Ron's questioning my memory.

Penny said...

Oh, eat it up - he just wants to be a part of that gang of girls you have :)!

One of Zach's favorite songs of all time was, and still is, We will Rock You! He still sings that one at the top of his lungs. I love boys!

Ellie said...

At least it's cute chatter that necessitates his removal from Sac. Mtg. and not piercing screams. It's funny that you can hear it all the way from the Organ. We miss that cute boy!

Marian said...

love it! he sounds like a happy vocal boy for the most part, so that's good, right? my favorite part is that your older kids get so embarrassed about it.

Kelly said...

Totally a boy thing! Jack does the same sort of thing. It seems that the more I encourage him to be quite, the louder he gets. I thought your post was so funny - Pace is adorable.
(On a different note, it looks like we might be getting close to another open heart surgery - if you want to check out jacks carepage it is at carepages.com and the name is JacksHeartUpdate.) I know that unfortunately, you can relate!
I hope all is well!