Monday, June 15, 2009

Pace's Phobia


(As always, the pictures are not cooperating with the text.  The swim pictures are just because I thought you might have missed seeing pictures of my kids in the pool and at the beach.  I know you probably got used to your daily dose of them and have been going through withdrawals.......)



(This post's capitalization is dedicated to Annette and Ellie.  Thanks for still being my friends even though I am capital-deficient.)

Okay, so, somehow I did not equate summer vacation with no time to blog, but it seems that with all 5 kids home all day, I have lost that little spot in the day that was reserved for my blogging time.  I am working on getting it back.  Negotiations with the children are pending.  I just sent them all away (not even nicely:  "Go do something.  I am going to blog.").  We'll see how long it lasts.  (Note to Annette and Ellie--I just had to go back and re-do the capitalization because I forgot about it.  I hope you are appreciating all this hard work and dedication.)

Besides having all the kids home from school, I have also been very, very, very busy (happily) doing online scrapbooking.  I have finally found my scrapbooking ideal.  When I realized I was really, really, really behind with all my scrapbooks (stuck in 2004), I decided I needed a realistic option to turn to.  Long story short--three weeks after starting an online book for Gwyneth, I have caught her up to when school ended this year.  Not bad, eh?  I don't mind patting myself on the back for that one.  Hope you don't mind.   I'm getting ready to start Liesel's book now.  I'm very excited about the prospect of having all 5 children's books all done.  Hooray for Blurb!!!  (Thanks Liza for coming out to get me started.)

Also, we have been busy little bees getting all our "hurricane preparedness" things ready.  This is a big deal here.  I guess we'll see how good we were at it when the first hurricane hits!  I have to admit, though, that I really do enjoy doing 72-hour kits.  All those little trial-sized tubes of things really appeal to me.

Okay, enough about all that.  Onto Pace's Phobia.

We discovered recently that Pace is frightened of battery-operated things that move.  The biggest offender is a large dump truck that can drive by itself.  Pace hates it.  We had to take it outside and leave it there.  He checks out the window all the time to make sure it's staying put.  I didn't know he was so scared of it until I noticed that he would never walk past it--one day he got trapped in the playroom because it was in the entryway just outside the room.  He kept calling me to come "hold you" and I kept telling him I was right in the kitchen and he could come to me and then I would hold him.  Finally I went into the playroom to see what was going on, and he was peeking around the corner--I could tell he was gauging whether or not he could make it past the dump truck.  The sad thing is, he loved playing with this truck (he got it from a neighbor for his birthday) until he discovered it moved on its own.
He's also terrified of this little fake-pet gerbil we have that has wheels and a battery so it can "run" around in a gerbil ball.  I had to put it up on the fridge, out of sight, before Pace would let me put him down.  
Apparently we didn't introduce him to battery-powered toys at a young enough age.  I think he doesn't understand why they suddenly start moving.  We all think it's funny.  Until he won't let me put him down.  Then I think that he'd better hurry and grow out of this stage.

11 comments:

Matt said...

Ha ha! I can picture Pace waiting to see if the tractor will make the first move - poor guy!

Annette said...

It sounds like Brinley with blue bubble gum when she was a baby. Anytime we'd blow a blue bubble she'd cry and scream her head off. We videotaped it and once thought of sending to America's Funniest Videos.

Thanks for the caps! :)

Dave and Jen said...

Pace is so cute. That funny that he's scared of the tractor. Boys will be boys.

Diane said...

some of the greatest people i know don't use caps. (But I do).

I love your swimming/beach pictures, but they make me jealous.

Most of all, I love Blurb too! For Christmas the past two years my kids have given me a family photo book for the year - all our family photos gathered together and labeled for the year. Done on Blurb. Besides ease of use (well, truthfully, they do it), it is a much more compact size! I'm tempted to scan in my kids baby books and make them a realistic storage size. However so far I am not tempted enough to capitulate.

Poppy said...

Poor Pace! Jesse had some weird phobias, too. One of them was that he always worried that the toilet would overflow and flood the house! If there seemed to be a little too much toilet paper in the toilet, he wouldn't flush it! Nice to have you posting again, I figured that you must be too busy having fun.
Don't feel so behind on scrapping, I'm stuck in 2000 plus I still don't have my mission in a book...that was over in 1996! Yikes! All on my to do list for 2009 (or 10!) PS...I love digital scrapping!

Ellie said...

You are so funny! Your capitalization style has never bothered me at all. I just figure it means you are more able to let go of unimportant things and follow style trends than I am. I can provide lots of other evidence if you need it. :-)

I love that Pace has a little phobia. The thing with the tractor is so funny. Also, I love the beach & pool pictures. Madeline looks happier in those pictures than I think I have ever seen her. She has a cute sparkle in her eyes.

We'll have to chat about hurricanes sometime. Did I ever tell you about when we evacuated? Interesting times.

Keep posting. Your kids won't mind. :-)

Emily said...

Yeah for an update? What do you mean your busy with 5 kids home and out of school?! I can't imagine. The phobia's are funny, maybe not to him though.
By the way, did you recognize the dress Aly was wearing in the last pic you commented on? It was from you and we LOVE it! So, that makes you the cute dresser-of-girls :)

Karalee said...

Glad to see you posting again....and with capitals...impressive! Looks like you are having a fun summer. School ends tomorrow for us.

Little Red said...

Remember when he loved the weasel ball at Chirstmas? Poor Pace, if I had a vehicle half my size moving by itself towards me, I would probably be afraid too!

Joanne said...

I love your swimming/beach collages, and I actually have been missing them - every time I checked your blog and didn't see a new post, I'd think, "bummer, she is having too much fun with her online scrapbooking." I wish I had such a fun excuse for when I don't post.

Anyway, I love your collages so much, I just downloaded Picasa the other day. It makes it so easy!

Also, Pace's little phobia is so funny! I mean, of course it is sad, too, that he gets all scared, but just picturing him being all nervous and then checking out the window on the tractor, and getting trapped in the playroom is pretty cute. Remember when Alex (our brother) was so freaked out by the koosh ball (is that what they're called?) at Jody's bookstore in CA? We thought it was sooo funny.

Unknown said...

You have such a darling family, your poor little one (although I admit, I giggled)!