Wednesday, March 17, 2010

because i just sat down for a minute to check my email

i'm going to blog. but i really don't have anything to say, now that i'm here. except that pace has turned in to a beast. all of my children do that when they are almost three. 2-year-olds are easy for me. 3-year-olds are another story. he is still cute. but the cuteness is mixed in with a lot of stinkyness. he is also learning how to be sneaky, which is actually one of the cuter parts of his stinkyness, because he always confesses. here are two of the conversations we had this week:

pace: "mom, i was in the office."
me: "okay"
pace: "with the door shut"
me: "hmmm" (this is suspicious)
pace: "i was drinking a juice box" (not allowed at 8:30 in the morning). "i was hiding."


pace: "mom, you go ahead and go upstairs. go to bed."
me: "what are you going to do?"
pace: "i just stay down here and eat lots of raisins. i be okay."


he does not like it at all if he thinks i'm mad at him. he'll say "no, mom. i not mad at you. i loves you." and then, of course, i can't be mad at him anymore. i'd say it's a pretty good thing he came with some built-in cuteness defense systems. he'd be in serious trouble otherwise. as it is, i finally set up a play pen in the living room, where he can spend his frequent stay-here-till-you-can-be-happy moments. i was tired of carrying him up to his bed.
sigh.

let's see. is there anything else i've been doing besides putting pace in time-out?

oh, yes. liesel and gwyneth and i went to see "wicked" in miami for their birthday. we got all dressed up and had such a fun night. loren spoiled us all. first, by getting us the tickets, and then by letting us buy new clothes so we could be extra fancy.

uh oh. pace just discovered i'm on the computer. time to get off.
happy st. patrick's day! are you having fun wearing green?



12 comments:

R said...

I'm with you. Two year olds rock, and three year olds are not fun. I'm jealous that you got to go see Wicked. I bet your girls loved that!

Diane said...

I love the confessions. It's like it gives him power to tell you what he can and does do. Hang in there! ...someday he'll be a teenager!

Poppy said...

Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he made them cute...He knew they might not survive otherwise! I have a few of those that may not have seen their 3rd birthday if they weren't so darn cute! I want to see Wicked...I don't think it will be coming to NM anytime soon! Bummer.

Ellie said...

Hooray for a new post! I thought I was going to have start posting anonymous comments on your last post to tell you it was time for a new one.

I want to see pictures of you guys all dressed up to go see Wicked.

Your story about Pace and the raisins cracks me up. Jeff has a similar one. At about the same age his mom called to him from another room to ask where he was and what he was doing. He called back, "I can't tell you." Why not? "Because I'm in the raisins." You gotta love 3-year-old boys with a conscience.

I think Pace just needs his kids to come back and play with him some more. :-)

I'm making green french bread today. If you were here I'd bring you a loaf.

Karalee said...

My kids were ALL hardest at three, although, I must warn you that 12 seems to be the age were alot of that three year old testing and difficulty seems to resurface. You have one more year to go until you get to be hit with another double whammy!

Penny said...

I love that you wrote this about Pace, because I was just thinking the same thing about Hadley. She is such a stinker right now - a few days before her birthday! 2 wasn't easy for her either, but 3 isn't lookin so good.

And Ellie - green french bread - seriously?!? How do I keep up??

Jealous about Wicked. Did you ever read that book??

Laura said...

i know, ellie. you were supposed to tell me the next time you were going to celebrate fancylike so i could keep up! penny--as if you don't do creative stuff ALL THE TIME!!!! my "green" food was broccoli pasta and homemade mint ice cream. that's as creative as we got.
also, penny--never read the book. i got scared off after that book group where we "almost" picked it. i will have to be content with seeing it. hopefully several more times.

Emily said...

Fun to hear an update! I hear rumor you might come for the cabin weekend? Come!!! Even though Pace might be a stinker, he sure sounds cute! I also want to see pics of you and your girls all dressed up going to Wicked.

Ellie said...

Laura, I let you know at 10:14 what I was planning to do at noon today. That's about as "advance notice" as I get. Also, you guys can totally keep up. All you have to do is add about 8 drops of green food coloring to whatever you are making that day. It doesn't have to be french bread. Also, Penny, I heard you posted a bunch of stuff on facebook that you were doing. I'm pretty sure you are all doing more than just keep up with me. We liked our bread, but I'm pretty sure my kids would have chosen homemade mint ice cream if I gave them the choice.

Annette said...

I want to see pictures of you girls, too. I read "Wicked" and afterwards wished I hadn't. The play is SO much better. We are having our big St. Patty's party on Sunday - after I get my painting done. I have vowed that when I buy another house I am going to do the projects I want to do right away and enjoy them. At least I get to enjoy it for a few more months. Pace is funny!

Betsy said...

I love the confessions, too! What a cutie. Isn't Wicked amazing? I could see it over and over again! How fun to go with the girls and get all dressed up!

Joanne said...

Well, I finally sort of have the time to do blogging again now that I'm done with all my project-ing, but it's much more fun to come read all the posts I missed last week.

I love Pace's confessions! They were even more fun to read after talking to him on the phone today, because I can just imagine him. I even witnessed the "I loves you" comment - so cute. I can't wait to see him in Yosemite. (and your other kids, of course).

And I'm jealous of Wicked. I guess it came to Austin last summer, and I totally missed it. I didn't even know it was here. Now how will I see it?